Check out our new guest blogger Mariya Taher. She’ll be writing blogs about her running and fundraising journey while keeping us informed on domestic violence. Look out for her future blogs!
Seventy-eight miles. 411,840 feet. 4,942,080 inches. That’s the distance I’ll be covering during the SIX half marathons that I’ll be running between June 3, 2012 through December 2, 2012.
7,800 calories burned. 17 In & Out Cheeseburgers served animal style consumed to counteract this calorie burn. Or maybe I’ll just stick to eating 34 pieces of chocolate cake with white frosting and sprinkles to make up this loss in weight.
The End Result. Undergoing both an intense physical and mental challenge by running 6 Half Marathons all in the name of raising money for an agency dear to my heart, Women Organized to Make Abuse Non-Existent (WOMAN, Inc.). WOMAN, Inc. was founded in 1978, and for the last thirty-four years they have provided essential services for domestic violence survivors throughout the Bay Area.
- Jun. 3, 2012: San Diego, CA — Rock ‘n’ Roll Series – COMPLETED!
- Sept. 22, 2012 Denver, CO — Rock ‘n’ Roll Series
- Oct. 7, 2012: San Jose, CA — Rock ‘n’ Roll Series
- Oct. 14, 2012 – San Francisco, CA — Nike Women’s
- Oct. 28, 2012 Los Angeles, CA — Rock ‘n’ Roll Series
- Dec. 2, 2012 Las Vegas, NV — Rock ‘n’ Roll Series
So, I am writing to ask my friends and family to sponsor me in undertaking this challenge. I have two ambitious goals – first to beat my personal record of running a half marathon by atleast 1 minute in each of the 6 races and second to help me raise $5000 for WOMAN, Inc. All donations will directly benefit the agency and are, of course, tax deductible. Plus, don’t you want me to eat all those hamburgers and pieces of chocolate cake guilt free?!
Raising money for this agency holds special importance for me as I work for WOMAN, Inc. and as many of you know, I have made it my life’s passion to work towards ending violence against women. Domestic Violence affects more people than you might imagine with one out of every four women experiencing it at some point in their lifetime. This form of violence does not discriminate and occurs among people of all races, ages, socio-economic classes, religious affiliations, sexual orientations, occupations, education backgrounds, meaning the likelihood of this situation happening to you or a loved one of yours is all too real. A statement that I am sad to say holds true for me as too many special people in my life have had to undergo this heart-breaking situation.
WOMAN, Inc. is an agency working to make the end of domestic violence a reality, but as the need outdoes the supply, this agency urgently needs our financial help to continue services for this vulnerable population. Please join me in supporting this very important cause by considering a sponsorship in my Running to End DV quest!
SUGGESTED SPONSOR RATES PER MILE
I ______________ will make a per mile donation of $ ____________ for up to ____________ miles.
(Table below gives donation amounts based on the number of miles and number of races sponsored)
|# of Runs||Miles||$1 per mile donation||$2 per mile donation||$5 per mile donation|
|Six runs||78 miles||$78||$156||$390|
|Five runs||65 miles||$65||$130||$325|
|Four runs||52 miles||$52||$104||$260|
|Three runs||39 miles||$39||$78||$195|
|Two runs||26 miles||$26||$52||$130|
|One run||13 miles||$13||$26||$65|
I will make a flat donation of $ ____________ to support WOMAN, Inc. services.
SUGGESTED FLAT RATE DONATIONS
- $1,000 to help provide approximately 75 hours of support line services to survivors of domestic violence!
- $750 to help provide approximately 25 people one-on-one therapy services!
- $500 to help WOMAN, Inc. sit with close to 30 mono-lingual Spanish speaking survivors, looking to end the abuse in their homes.
- $100 to help train volunteers to become agents of social change in the community!
- $50 to help provide groceries to 3 clients!
- $25 to help advocate for survivors’ rights at 3 different community meetings!
- $10 to help provide essential needs such as food and BART tickets to clients in need!
If you wish to mail a check instead, please make all checks out to the WOMAN, Inc. and mail it to
Attention: Running to End DV
333 Valencia Suite 450,
San Francisco, CA 94103